In late 2014, Pippin Drysdale and Warrick Palmateer received an opportunity to exhibit at the John Curtin Gallery. Gallery Director Chris Malcolm extended the invitation for them to be part of the Gallery’s 20th anniversary in 2018. Warrick Palmateer’s collection of artwork, titled Meridian Arc, was the result of a year-long collaboration with various partners. This included a partnership with Brikmakers, a Western Australian brick manufacturer located in South Guildford, as well as collaborations with Yanchep filmmaker Matthew Bettingalio and Perth-based composer Ryan Burge. These partnerships played a crucial role in the creation of the installation.
Meridian Arc Series, 2018. Western Australian kiln-fired earth
- The Whiting Cape – 77 × 87cm
- Cuttlefish Shoal – 94 × 110cm
- Fisherman’s Hollow – 91 × 90cm
- Tidal Comb – 105 × 110cm
- Spindrift, 2018. – 105 × 105cm
- The Dusky Whaler – 110 × 110cm
- Abalone Arc – 116 × 110cm
- Beacon Bouy – 128 × 115cm
- Meridian – 149 × 115cm
- Southwest Sweep – 93 × 110cm
- Baler – 115 x 90 cm
- Urchin Loop – 85 × 90cm
- Ryan Burge: Meridian Arc soundtrack, 2018, four channel sound, looped, 10:11 mins
- Matthew Bettinaglio: Confluence, Act 1: Inspiration – 4:53 mins; Act 2: Connection – 2:42 mins; Act 3: Preparation – 2:39 mins; Act 4: Creation Part 1 – 1:46 mins; Act 5: Creation Part 2 – 4:47 mins; Act 6: Juxtaposition – 2:54 mins; Act 7: Revolution – 2:17 mins.
The creation of the Meridian Arc series would not have been possible without the invaluable and generous support Warrick received from:
- Brikmakers: Director – Sam Buckeridge, General Manager – Vince Scarvaci, Operations Manager – Bill Swerlowycz, Marketing Manager – Claire Perks, Raw Materials Manager – Nathan Blackwell, Kiln Manager – Ryan Jensen, Production Manager – Paul Moyle, Sales and Marketing – Barry Cottom, Chris Williams, John Barile and Priya Marvelli; Kiln – Chaitanya Yendapally, Ian Price; Laboratory – Paul Di Marco, Scott Cowan; Yard – Greg Higgins, Charbel Sfier, Cory Dempster, Carl Darken, Ben Smallgood; Safety – Tracey Kuusk, Rick Gumina and Jan Menzies; Maintenance/Fitters – Nick Pearson, Mick Sneddon and Kevin Burke.
- Audio/Visual: Robert Frith – Accorn Photography, Matthew Bettinaglio and Ryan Burge;
- Specialist fabrication: Leandro Martins.
- John Curtin Gallery Staff: Director: Chris Malcolm; Gallery Manager: Jane King; Production Manager: Xavier Pardos; Gallery Administrative Coordinator: Patti Belletty; Gallery Communications Coordinator: Samantha Smith; Visual Communications Coordinator: Brad Coleman; Project Officer: Jacqui Monks; Collection Manager: Barbara Cotter; Collection Manager: Lia McKnight; Campus Display; Gallery Assistant: Tarryn Gill; Campus Display Coordinator: Matthew McAlpine; Carrolup Project Officer: Jessica Johnston; Gallery Attendants: Elizabeth Bills, Olivia Jones; Installation Technicians: Matthew Barstow, Graeme Burge, Alex Coles, Matt Dickmann, Pablo Hughes, Sean Mitchell and David Reid