In late 2014, Pippin Drysdale and Warrick Palmateer were presented with an exciting opportunity to showcase their work at the John Curtin Gallery. Chris Malcolm, the Gallery Director, extended a special invitation for them to be part of the Gallery’s 20th anniversary celebration in 2018. Warrick Palmateer’s art collection, titled “Meridian Arc,” was the remarkable outcome of a year-long collaborative endeavor involving various partners. Notably, this included a fruitful partnership with Brikmakers, a brick manufacturer based in South Guildford, Western Australia. Additionally, collaborations with Yanchep filmmaker Matthew Bettingalio and Perth-based composer Ryan Burge played integral roles in the creation of this installation.
Meridian Arc Series, 2018. Western Australian kiln-fired earth
- The Whiting Cape – 77 × 87cm
- Cuttlefish Shoal – 94 × 110cm
- Fisherman’s Hollow – 91 × 90cm
- Tidal Comb – 105 × 110cm
- Spindrift, 2018. – 105 × 105cm
- The Dusky Whaler – 110 × 110cm
- Abalone Arc – 116 × 110cm
- Beacon Bouy – 128 × 115cm
- Meridian – 149 × 115cm
- Southwest Sweep – 93 × 110cm
- Baler – 115 x 90 cm
- Urchin Loop – 85 × 90cm
- Ryan Burge: Meridian Arc soundtrack, 2018, four channel sound, looped, 10:11 mins
- Matthew Bettinaglio: Confluence, Act 1: Inspiration – 4:53 mins; Act 2: Connection – 2:42 mins; Act 3: Preparation – 2:39 mins; Act 4: Creation Part 1 – 1:46 mins; Act 5: Creation Part 2 – 4:47 mins; Act 6: Juxtaposition – 2:54 mins; Act 7: Revolution – 2:17 mins.
The creation of the Meridian Arc series would not have been possible without the invaluable and generous support Warrick received from:
- Brikmakers: Director – Sam Buckeridge, General Manager – Vince Scarvaci, Operations Manager – Bill Swerlowycz, Marketing Manager – Claire Perks, Raw Materials Manager – Nathan Blackwell, Kiln Manager – Ryan Jensen, Production Manager – Paul Moyle, Sales and Marketing – Barry Cottom, Chris Williams, John Barile and Priya Marvelli; Kiln – Chaitanya Yendapally, Ian Price; Laboratory – Paul Di Marco, Scott Cowan; Yard – Greg Higgins, Charbel Sfier, Cory Dempster, Carl Darken, Ben Smallgood; Safety – Tracey Kuusk, Rick Gumina and Jan Menzies; Maintenance/Fitters – Nick Pearson, Mick Sneddon and Kevin Burke.
- Audio/Visual: Robert Frith – Accorn Photography, Matthew Bettinaglio and Ryan Burge;
- Specialist fabrication: Leandro Martins.
- John Curtin Gallery Staff: Director: Chris Malcolm; Gallery Manager: Jane King; Production Manager: Xavier Pardos; Gallery Administrative Coordinator: Patti Belletty; Gallery Communications Coordinator: Samantha Smith; Visual Communications Coordinator: Brad Coleman; Project Officer: Jacqui Monks; Collection Manager: Barbara Cotter; Collection Manager: Lia McKnight; Campus Display; Gallery Assistant: Tarryn Gill; Campus Display Coordinator: Matthew McAlpine; Carrolup Project Officer: Jessica Johnston; Gallery Attendants: Elizabeth Bills, Olivia Jones; Installation Technicians: Matthew Barstow, Graeme Burge, Alex Coles, Matt Dickmann, Pablo Hughes, Sean Mitchell and David Reid